Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pumpkin Time!

After our fall festival, a friend gave me two pumpkins to cook. These are not regular carving kind of pumpkins, they are called pie pumpkins. I decided to cook them and put them in the freezer for the holiday season.
First you wash them to remove any dirt that might still be on them.


Then you cut open the top and remove all the seeds and strings....or whatever you call that. I used an ice cream scoop to help with this process. It worked pretty well.


Then you cut them in half and place them on a baking dish with a small amt of water. Just enough to keep them moist. Probably about a cup. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

I then scooped out the meat of the pumpkin and placed it into my bosch food processor. I did have to add in a little of the water from the baking dish to get it to blend up nicely. Not too much.

Now it is all ready for the freezer. I can use this for pumpkin pies or bread! :o)

I also cooked the pumpkin seeds. Just wash & boil them for 10 mins in salt water, then drain & put them in the oven for about 15 mins on 400 degrees. You may need to stir/toss them once or twice while toasting. I added a little Italian seasoning and fresh parmesan cheese to mine before putting them in the oven. Yummy!

I love Fall Activities!

2 comments:

  1. Well that looks easy enough. Do you have a favorite recipe for bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am about to test a recipe that I normally use for Banana nut Bread to see if it can be converted to Pumpkin Bread. It has cream cheese in it and is wonderful with Bananas and I was thinking it might be great as Pumpkin bread also. I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete